Sunday, January 11, 2015

Rosehipe & Ravens

Sometimes I start pieces by just filling pieces of paper with color, adding texture and walking away and doing something else or beginning another painting. That's the way that this piece started. I really liked the texture and when I added the birds, I really liked them. But I felt the piece needed something. I've been wanting to experiment with collage again and decided this was the piece to do that with. So I tore up an old painting and had little pieces of paper all over! I finally managed to stick them on and I'm really pleased with the results! I like the torn edges and the textural effect that the collage adds. I used watercolor and acrylic inks in this piece as well as the collage.
See the finished piece below.
"Rosehips & Ravens" • Original mixed watermedia and collage on Arches 140# paper

See this piece on Daily Paintworks

© Melissa Gannon 2015

1 comment: